Are you new to WordPress? Do you have a lot of questions in mind that need to be answered? Finding a relevant resource from where you can easily learn everything about WordPress? Your search here comes to end!
WordPress is powering millions of websites in the world and allows businesses to easily stand firm in the online world with its amazing content management system. Even without any need to get messed up with coding.
And, here we are with the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions by WordPress beginners. For your convenience, we have categorized these questions into 3 categories:
- Basic WordPress Questions
- Questions Related To WordPress Theme
- Questions Related To WordPress Plugins
- WordPress Security Questions
- WordPress Speed Optimization
Let’s discuss them in detail!
Basic WordPress Questions
1. How to start a WordPress blog?
First of all, you would require a blogging platform. Self-hosted WordPress.org website is a very good option for you. Next, you will have to create a WordPress hosting account for yourself. You will also need a domain name. Finally, you will have to install WordPress and then you can start writing your blog.
2. Do I require to pay any amount to create a WordPress website?
Well, WordPress is basically free. However, you would require some money in order to host your website and purchase a domain name. You will also need to pay some amount in order to add advanced features to your website.
3. Will I be able to install WordPress on my system?
Yes, you will be able to install WordPress on your computer. This will help you to test the functions of various WordPress themes and plugins.
4. How do you add a blog post or page in WordPress?
To add a new blog post, you will have to go to Posts and click on Add New page. For adding a new page, you need to go to Pages and click on Add New page.
5. Will I be able to use WordPress without using any blog features?
Yes, you can definitely use WordPress without using any blog features. Although WordPress was mainly developed to serve as a blogging platform, now it has turned to be a full-fledged CMS and an application form.
It’s up to you which type of website you would like to create. You can easily set up your business website as per your need.
Further, if you would like to know how to disable blog features on your WordPress site, I would like to recommend you to go through with this quick guide provided by the WP Beginners team.
6. How to embed videos in my WordPress website?
You can directly upload videos to your website. You will also be able to import videos from video hosting services like Vimeo and YouTube.
In order to upload videos from YouTube, copy the link and paste the video URL in the post editor.
7. How to display images in the form of rows and columns?
There are different plugins available which will allow you to display your images in the form of rows and columns. Envira Gallery is one such plugin.
But if you want to do this without using any plugin, here are the steps for you!
- Create a post or page where you want to create a gallery.
- Now, click on the ‘Add Media’ button.
- Upload your images.
- Make sure all the required images are selected
- Now, click on the ‘Create Gallery’ link and further, ‘Create a new gallery’ button.
- Select number of columns, the page where images should link to, image size, and display order.
- Finally, click on the insert gallery button.
8. How do I create my own images for my WordPress website?
You can take help of multiple tools that allow you to design your own images without knowing graphics designing skills. Some of these tools include Visage, Canva, Piktochart.
9. How to make money from my WordPress website?
There are endless ways by which you will be able to make money from your WordPress website. You will be able to sell advertisement space, create paid membership website, create eLearning website to sell online courses, create e-commerce store to sell products, can be a blogger and influence readers to buy from you, and can do a lot more.
10. Where do I find free images for my WordPress website?
There are thousands of photographers and artists who allow you to use their work for free. You should look for such artists and select an image of your choice. Some websites that offer stock images include pixabay, flicker, pexel, just to name a few.
11. How do I insert a navigation menu on my WordPress website?
WordPress provides you with an easy navigation menu management system using which you will be able to insert the navigation menu on your website.
- Visit the Appearance » Menus page
- Provide a name to the menu
- Click the ‘Create Menu’ button
- Select the pages that you want to add to the menu and then click on the “Add to Menu” button.
- Drag and drop pages to arrange them into proper order.
- Once done, click on the ‘Save Menu’ button.
12. What is the use of tags and categories in WordPress?
Tags and categories will allow you to sort your content based on various topics. This will help you to present your content in an extremely organized way.
Categories are the group consisting of similar types of posts. And, the tags describe what article is all about.
Questions Related To WordPress Theme
13. How to choose a theme for my WordPress website?
The selection of theme will depend on the type of website you would like to design. Thousands of WordPress themes are available for every kind of website.
14. How to install a WordPress theme?
Go to the Appearance option and navigate to the Theme page. Click on the ‘Add New’ button present at the top of the page. On the next page, you will be able to search for your theme from wordpress.org site.
And, if you have downloaded the zip file on your system, you can click on the upload button and install the theme.
15. Are WordPress themes available for free?
Well, you will get both premium as well as free WordPress themes. Free WordPress themes can be downloaded by the wordpress.org website or you can also get from third-party providers.
Keep in mind, the premium themes have a number of advanced features as compared to the free themes.
Questions Related To WordPress Plugins
16. What is the function of the plugins?
Using plugins, you will be able to add different functions to your website quickly. Different plugins are available for specific functions.
17. Which plugins should I download on my WordPress website?
WordPress plugins allow you to add different features to your WordPress website. Your selection of plugins will depend on the type of features you would like to add to your website.
18. How to install plugins in WordPress?
To install plugins,
- Go to Plugins tab and then click on the Add New page.
- Then you will have to search for the plugin you are looking for
- Click on the install button.
You can also upload a zip file of plugins directly to your WordPress website. In order to start using the plugin, you will have to activate the plugin.
19. Why can’t I see the Plugins menu in the admin panel?
Ah! You’re not able to find the plugins menu in your admin panel. It is possible that you are using WordPress.com. And, WordPress.com does not allow you to install plugins.
20. How do I install Google Analytics on my WordPress website?
You will be able to install Google Analytics on your WordPress website by using MonsterInsights. It is the best WordPress analytics plugin that help you view your website analytics inside your website.
21. How to add email subscriptions to my WordPress blogs?
You can add email subscriptions to your WordPress blogs by using email marketing service providers like MailChimp.
22. How to add a contact form on my WordPress website?
Multiple contact form plugins are available which will allow you to insert a contact form to your WordPress website. Such as WP Forms and Contact Form 7.
23. How to create an online store using WordPress?
You will be able to design an online store using multiple E-Commerce plugins available. One such very popular plugin is WooCommerce.
24. How do I gain more email subscribers?
You can install OptinMonster which will help to increase your email subscribers by almost 600%. You can also try multiple sign-up forms.
25. What is the use of page builder plugins?
Page builder plugins will allow you to customize your web pages with ease. Elementor is one such very popular page builder plugin.
WordPress Security Questions
26. How do I protect my WordPress website from unauthorized access?
There are multiple ways by which you can protect your WordPress website from hackers, malware, etc. Some of these options include installing a backup solution, downloading WordPress security plugins and enabling user permissions.
27. How can I solve common WordPress errors on my own?
The best way to solve errors is by searching the internet. Someone else might have also faced the same error as you. He/ She will be able to help you out by providing you with the necessary solutions.
28. What should I do if I am locked out of the WordPress Admin Area?
In such a case, you will have to find the error which is causing this problem. There might be a problem establishing the database connection. Your system might also be facing incorrect password issues. Fix the error and you will once again be able to gain access to the admin area.
29. How do I handle comment spam in WordPress?
Akismet is one such plugin which will help you to monitor all your comments and filter out the undesirable ones. You can also turn on comment moderation.
WordPress Speed Optimization
30. What should I do in order to increase the speed of my WordPress website?
There are multiple ways to increase the speed of your website. You can install a caching plugin. You can also optimize the images of your website.
The best practices of speed optimization include the following:
- Make sure you have updated WordPress installation
- Use Excerpts on Homepage and Archives
- Use SEO friendly WordPress Theme & plugins
- Optimize Background Processes
31. How to improve SEO on WordPress?
You should always go for an SEO ready theme. This will help your website to rank well on popular search engines.
Best practices of WordPress SEO include:
- Use categories and tags in your blogs
- Proper internal & external linking is important
- Don’t forget to use excerpts
- Use WordPress SEO plugins
- Your theme should be SEO friendly
- Optimize your site speed and performance
What’s Your Question?
So, these were some of the most basic questions which are asked by WordPress beginners from time to time. I hope this helps you a lot and answers your queries.
If you have any other questions in mind, feel free to comment!